It is almost time for the start of the 2014 N.C. State Fair, and there are some new exhibits and entertainment planned. If you live in apartments in Raleigh, NC, this year’s state fair is going to be fantastic.
The N.C. State Fair, which runs Oct. 16-26, will feature the following new, free and returning acts:
- Neon Anteaters - These purple and blue creatures are quadruped stilt walkers that will be roaming the fairgrounds. They will be doling out “slurpy kisses” at the flower show during their daily strolls.
- Izzie - This face-painting fairy will be moving around on her bicycle dragon, Glitter, and stopping to tell stories in Kiddieland.
- Tumbleweed Crossing Wild West Show - This special effects show will feature student performances and comedy gun-fight scenes. It will be located near the rabbit barn and will perform daily at noon, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays, a 10 a.m. show will be added.
- The Farmer Phil Show - These shows, held daily in Kiddieland Fun Park, include juggling, yo-yo and magic routines while teaching audiences of all ages a little about farmers and agriculture.
- Roberto the Magnificent - Earning a silver medal at the World Juggling Championships at age 15, Roberto has been entertaining audiences with his comedy show for more than 20 years. You can see him performing daily on the north side of Dorton Arena.
- Down to Earth Aerials - This group dazzles fairgoers with high-flying feats on the north Dorton Arena lawn. This show feature twists, turns and heart-stopping stunts.
- Brad Matchett - This comedy hypnotist returns with more shows this year. He will perform nightly at 7:30 p.m. in the Folk Festival tent, with an additional 9 p.m. show on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. This family-friendly hypnotist show is often held to standing-room only crowds.
- Roaming acts will include: Popping Penelope doing her balloon act in front of the Expo Center; stilt-walking by Zachari; Walking Tree Man; and Living Statues.
- Other returning favorites include: The One Man Band, Kenya Safari Acrobats, K-9s in Flight, Fire Safety Show, Hansen’s Spectacular Acrobatic Sensations, Dale Jones Juggler, Circle C Racing Pigs and Melvin the Wacky Wheeler.
And make sure to check out the nightly fireworks show at 9:45 p.m.
- Head to the north lobby of Dorton Arena for a new exhibit honoring North Carolina’s involvement in World War I. Historians in uniform will be on hand to answer questions.
- The Ag Today tent on the south side of Dorton Arena will show the latest in precision agriculture, including an unmanned aerial vehicle.
- The Hunt Horse Complex will celebrate the Year of the Horse with a full schedule of events, including headline shows, a parade of breeds and free, five-minute riding lessons.
All grounds entertainment and exhibits are free with admission to the fair. Advance tickets for the N.C. State Fair are on sale now.