It is not easy to move into apartments in Raleigh, NC when you are moving to this area from another part of the state or country. Most are excited to enjoy the benefits of moving to an urban area that allows them easy access to dining, shopping and entertainment.
With some planning and creative ideas, it can be easy and fun to move into your new home.
Here are some tips on how to maximize an apartment space:
- You need to know the measurements you are working with so you can create a clear plan. Imagine the furniture you have and how it will fit into the space you are working with. Make a list of what furniture you really need. I think we are all natural hoarders, but try to resist that urge. Think small. What do you really need? If you work from home you will need a work space, but you will not probably need that very large sectional couch. When in doubt, throw it out or donate it to a charity.
- Convertible and movable items are key in a small space, especially in a studio apartment. A sofa bed, day bed or convertible arm chair can be useful to switch your space from sleeping space to entertaining space. An ottoman that has storage can work as a seat or a small table or moved out of the way if it has wheels. It is best if all your furniture has multiple uses. A book shelf can serve as storage and something to divide living space from sleeping space. A curtain is also a good room divider, if you don’t need a book shelf for storage or work space. If everything has its place, it will be a lot easier to enjoy your smaller space.
- Use every nook and cranny. Every square inch can be used as storage if you add wall mounted shelves. A small closet with shelves or nook can be used as an office nook or storage with storage baskets. A hanging rack in a kitchen is very useful to store larger pots and pans. A hanging wine glass rack can allow you to use cabinet space for storing other items. A small kitchen may not have much counter space, but a butcher block with storage can help extend kitchen work space.
- Closet organizers can really maximize your usable closet space. If your closet is deep enough, even just a double rail clothing rack can double your hanging capacity. Hanging shoe racks will give you more usable closet floor space.
- A smaller bathroom’s storage can be improved greatly with shelves and a few hooks especially if you have an attractive pedestal sink that looks pretty, but has no storage.
- Light colors and a mirror added will give the illusion of space. You may want to work your colors around a piece of furniture to have a theme. Add some personality to it and make it your own and it will be a wonderful place to call home.