You may have a son or daughter heading off to Duke, North Carolina Chapel Hill, or another great college in a few weeks. If so, congratulations, this is going to be one of the most exciting times of their life. You have probably been spending quite a bit of time making new purchases for their dorm rooms too and are probably excited to get all of their college belongings out of your apartment in Raleigh, NC.
To start this amazing journey, it’s important to make your “home away from home” as comfortable as possible. Dorm rooms can often look stark, so let’s get you motivated to create the “perfect dorm room.”
No matter how you and your roommate decide to decorate your dorm room, organization is essential. This space has to perform several different functions including living, playing, sleeping, and most importantly, studying.
Here are some tips to consider:
- Since you’re going to be sharing a space, get in touch with your new college roommate before school begins so you can discuss what to bring.
- Bring only what you need. Leave seasonal clothes at home.
- Keep your room simple, less clutter means more space.
- There are more spaces you can use than you think, with bed lifters and hooks for behind doors.
- Add a hutch to your desk to bring storage space up.
- Talk to older college students about what to bring and what to leave home.