Today is Earth Day. Are you looking for some way to go green in your apartment in Raleigh, NC? If you want to help out your earth and save money, here are some ways to go green.
- Buy fresh, local food at local markets.
- Make birthday cards and give gifts in decorated paper bags or a cool reusable bag.
- Bring your own reusable bags when grocery shopping.
- Shop at consignment stores and thrift stores.
- Dispose of electronic and hazardous waste properly.
- Buy a share in community-supported agriculture farms to support local, sustainable farming and enjoy fresh veggies.
- Stop using plastic sandwich bags and use washable containers or bags.
- Cut down on car trips, walk or bike while running errands. .
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper in school lunches and at home.
- Stop buying bottled water. Save money and energy buy using reusable metal water bottles and use a personal filter for your kitchen faucet.
- Organize a Halloween costume swap. This can be a great service project for a Girl Scout troop.
- Expand your hand-me-down circle. Organize a clothing swap for you or your kids’group of friends. Bring clothes, athletic gear, shoes, and toys to trade. Everything else goes to Salvation Army or trade.
Do you have ideas about ways to go green? Tell us.